Welcome to the Information Technology website
Information Technology (IT) is a Division of UNC System Office and has a straightforward mission: IT will seek and employ every possible improvement in efficiency and effectiveness of information technology for its constituent campuses. The improvements in efficiencies and effectiveness will be pursued by:
- Creating system-wide vendor contracts for IT software, hardware, and services to employ the critical mass of UNC purchasing power to obtain the best prices, terms, and conditions possible.
- Encouraging cooperative and collaborative initiatives among its constituent institutions to develop less expensive and/or higher quality IT services than individual institutions could offer. These collaborative efforts will include the availability of central technical support staff and hosting of IT services.
- Extending this cooperative and collaborative environment to all of North Carolina’s educational entities (Community Colleges and the Department of Public Instruction) to offer the citizens of NC the best K-20 education, at the lowest possible cost, with the highest achievable ease of transition between institutions.
IT is pursuing a system-wide IT strategy to ensure the University makes the best use of technologies for teaching, learning, research and administration. The division recognizes that collaboration among the campuses is the best way to address common interests, and identify ways to complement – not replace – the IT services already provided by constituent institutions.
About Information Technology
Information Technology (IT) provides information technology services to three primary constituencies, the management and staff of UNC System Office, the seventeen institutions within the University of North Carolina system, and the growing population of on-line and distance education students in NC. These three roles require different methods to deliver IT services:
- We serve UNC System Office by providing the typical IT support for workstations, networking, security, training, consulting, utility electronic mail, calendaring, and general availability of all support technologies.
- We serve the constituent UNC institutions through coordination and collaboration, which results in the promotion and creation of a synergistic relationship offering a better suite of IT services than could be provided by an individual institution without benefit of the best practices offered by the others.
- We serve the NC on-line and distance education students through the development and delivery of effective, reliable, and intuitive student administrative software applications.
Regardless of the population being served, or the IT services being provided, the management and staff of UNC System Office IT have dedicated themselves to the following principles in all professional efforts.
Guiding Principles for IT:
- We will be above reproach in matters of ethics, legalities, and professional conduct.
- IT staff understands that the perception of our service is as important as the actual quality of the service, so we will strive to be courteous and polite in all client contacts.
- In return, IT management will provide the IT staff with a work environment that is collegial and respectful of individual needs.
- Our goal is to achieve excellence in everything we do and we will endeavor to exceed the expectations of our clients.
- Finally, in matters of our clients’ preferences, IT staff will offer its professional opinion on the best method for delivery of quality services but, if disagreements arise, the bottom line metric is that the end user is always right.