- Faculty and staff of the University may have the tuition cost waived for up to three academic courses per academic year at a University of North Carolina constituent institution. Institutions generally also waive the fees associated with the course tuition.
- Faculty and staff must be eligible to participate in the state retirement programs (TSERS or ORP) to be eligible for this benefit.
- Tuition waivers can be applied to most courses offered at UNC institutions. However, institutions may exclude courses in certain specialty programs that are self-supporting.
- This benefit is for University faculty and staff for study at UNC institutions.
- State institutions may, but are not required, to provide employees reimbursement of academic costs, if funds are available, and/or provide employees time off if the course is available only during working hours.
- The academic course or degree program must be job-related and provided by an accredited institution to qualify for this program.
- This is a reimbursement program; the employee must pay for the course upfront.
- Covered academic costs include in-state tuition, fees and course/lab fees.
- Management may approve educational leave up to 5 credit hours in an academic term or approve extended educational leave, with or without pay.
Policies and Forms