Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria to be considered for a Teaching Fellows award:
- Be accepted to enroll in an approved educator preparation program leading to initial licensure in an eligible area at one of the five Teaching Fellows partner institutions.
- Be one of the following:
- A North Carolina high school senior
- A student applying to transfer to an educator preparation program at one of the five Teaching Fellows partner institutions
- A student already enrolled at one of the five Teaching Fellows partner institutions who transitions into an educator preparation program
- An individual with a bachelor’s degree pursuing preparation for teacher licensure at one of the five Teaching Fellows partner institutions
Minimum Academic Requirements
- High school applicants or applicants with fewer than 24 hours of college credit must have a minimum unweighted high school GPA of 3.0 and must submit an SAT and/or ACT score.
- Applicants with more than 24 hours of college credit must have a minimum of a 2.7 cumulative GPA.
- Be willing to teach in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) or special education licensure area in a North Carolina public school, traditional or charter.
Students already currently enrolled in an educator preparation program are not eligible to be considered for a Teaching Fellows award.
Teaching Fellows Awards
Forgivable loans may be awarded for use at one of the five partner institutions for:
- North Carolina high school seniors: up to 4 years
- Students applying to transfer to an educator preparation program: up to 3 years
- Students already enrolled at one of the partner institutions who transition into an educator preparation program: up to 2 years
- Individuals with a bachelor’s degree who are pursuing preparation for teacher licensure: up to 2 years
Award amounts: up to $4,125 a semester ($8,250 a year). Loan funds may be used to cover the cost of tuition, fees, and books.
Fellows will be required to sign a promissory note agreeing to the terms of their forgivable loans.
Awards are renewable annually for Fellows who continue to meet eligibility requirements.
Continuing Eligibility Requirements:
After initial acceptance into the program, in order to remain eligible for continued program support, Fellows must:
- Meet the initial eligibility requirements of the program .
- Honor the terms of the award promissory note.
- Make Satisfactory Academic Process, as defined by the institution where the Fellow is enrolled.
- Participate in all Teaching Fellows enrichment activities, unless an exemption is approved by Campus and Program Director.
- Do not exceed the maximum number of semesters eligible for Teaching Fellows funding.