The University provides a variety of leave programs to meet the needs of its faculty and staff — from paid vacation and sick leave to community service and military leave.
Vacation and Sick Leave
Permanent employees regularly scheduled to work at least 20 or more hours per week, and who are in pay status for at least one-half of the days in a month, are eligible to earn leave. Permanent full-time employees (40 hours per week) earn vacation and sick leave according to the chart below. Employees who work less than 40 hours per week earn leave on a pro-rated basis according to the number of scheduled work hours each week. See the SHRA vacation and sick leave policies.
Years of Service
EHRA Non-Faculty Employees
EHRA Non-Faculty employees (SAAO Tier II and IRIT classifications) are entitled to 24 days of vacation leave and 12 days of sick leave per calendar year. The amount of annual leave is adjusted proportionately for part-time employees in covered positions who work half-time or more. Leave shall be earned on a monthly basis. The monthly earnings amount is equal to one-twelfth of the annual leave accrual rate for each month the employee works or is on an approved leave with pay at least half the working days of the month.
EHRA Non-Faculty Tier 1 Senior Academic and Administrative Officers are entitled to 26 days of vacation leave and 12 days of sick leave per calendar year.
Twelve-month faculty are entitled to 24 days of vacation leave and 12 days of sick leave per calendar year. The amount of annual leave is adjusted proportionately for part-time faculty members in covered positions who work half-time or more. Leave is earned on a monthly basis. The monthly earnings amount is equal to one-twelfth of the annual leave accrual rate for each month the faculty member works or is on an approved least with pay at least half the working days of the month.
Nine-month faculty members do not earn either vacation or sick leave. They are eligible for paid serious illness and parental leave.
If transferring between UNC System constituent institutions, acceptance of leave from one institution to another varies by individual institutional policies as does leave payout.
Holidays, Bonus Leave, and Leave Offsetting
Civil and Community Service Leave
Administrative Leave Programs
Medical Leave / ADA Programs
- Medical Leave Request Form
- Medical Leave Return to Work Form
- FMLA Medical Certification Form - Employee
- FMLA Medical Certification Form - Family Member
- FMLA Certification - Military Qualifying Exigency
- FMLA Certification - Military Caregiver - Active Service Member
- FMLA Certification - Military Caregiver - Veteran
- Voluntary Shared Leave Application
- Voluntary Shared Leave Donation
- Resources for Employees with Medical or Other Personal Issues
- Employee's Guide for Completing Leave Request Forms
- Supervisor's Guide for Completing Leave Request Forms
- Supervisor's Guide for Managing Intermittent Leave / Reduced Schedules
- FMLA Definitions for Military Caregiver / Qualifying Exigency
Paid Parental Leave
Other Leave Programs
EHRA-Specific Leave Programs
- 300.2.9[R] Regulations on Interpreting the Special Annual Leave Bonus Appropriations Act Provisions (see section 9)
- 300.2.15 UNC Pandemic and Communicable Disease Emergency Policy (see section 15)
- EHRA Non-Faculty Policy (see Section VII)
- Senior Academic and Administrative Officer (SAAO) Policy (see Section II.D)
- Adverse Weather for EHRA Employees
Need Confidential Help?
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is available for free and confidential consultation about work or personal/family issues.