Janet B. Royster Memorial Scholarship
Support the Janet B. Royster (JBR) Memorial Staff Scholarship Fund
Help us reach our $250,000 goal to endow our scholarship and begin awarding funds to deserving staff across the state of NC.
The Janet B. Royster (JBR) Memorial Staff Scholarship Fund was created in August of 2011 by the UNC System Staff Assembly in memory of UNC-TV employee Janet B. Royster. Janet represented UNC-TV on the General Administration Staff Forum and was subsequently elected to the UNC System Staff Assembly. She served as its first Parliamentarian (2006) until her untimely death in June 2011. This scholarship promotes staff development for permanent, full-time, non-faculty employees, as well as recognizes and honors Janet’s leadership and dedication to all UNC employees.
The JBR Memorial Staff Scholarship Fund provides one or more annual awards, based on the availability of funds. Scholarships provide assistance towards earning a degree or other professional certification. Applicants are encouraged to describe how the educational program relates to the applicant’s career goals. Recipients are selected by the JBR Scholarship Committee.[/two_third_last]
Award payments will be made directly to the employee’s home institution. The institution can either reimburse the employee for the development expense or can pay a vendor on the employee’s behalf. The scholarship can be applied to the cost of tuition, fees, books, registration fees for conferences, certificate programs, or other related development activities. The maximum award amount for the 2023-2024 academic year is $1,000 per employee. Awards are not automatically renewable from year to year. Interested parties must apply each year.
The JBR Memorial Staff Scholarship Fund has given out 149 scholarships, totalling over $98,000 since its creation!
Some of the following factors will be considered by the committee in making selections:
- The commitment of the applicant to their UNC employer institution
- The relationship of the educational program to the applicant’s job
- The educational goals of the applicant
- Applicant must be a permanent full-time non-faculty employee of the UNC system
- Applicant must submit a complete application
The JRBR Memorial Staff Scholarship Fund is designed to help a UNC employee become a more effective, in either the applicant’s current position, or to prepare the applicant for promotion within the UNC system. The selection committee will consider a variety of factors including, but not limited to:
- The length of time the applicant has worked for the UNC system
- How the educational opportunity will help the applicant perform their job or enhance the applicant’s career opportunities
- What skill sets the applicant will gain
- The applicant’s long-term educational goals
- The applicant’s long-term career goals
Janet B. Royster Memorial Staff Scholarship 2023 Awardees
|Chris Caudill||Appalachian State University|
|Dana Nicole “Nikki” Moore||East Carolina University|
|Demetrice Smalls||East Carolina University|
|Brian Wayne||Elizabeth City State University|
|Michelle King||Fayetteville State University|
|Ryan Donaldson||NC School of Science and Mathematics|
|Laisha Baez||North Carolina A&T State University|
|Felecia Casey-Hicks||North Carolina Central University|
|Joy Tongsri||North Carolina State University|
|Michelle Lotker||PBS NC|
|Liana Kolodich||UNC Asheville|
|Natalie Flinchum||UNC Charlotte|
|Trevis Belle||UNC Greensboro|
|Sandy Jacobs||UNC Pembroke|
|Maura Wetzel||UNC School of the Arts|
|Julia Peck||UNC Wilmington|
|Crystal Headen||UNC-Chapel Hill|
|Adam Ray||Western Carolina University|
|Taylor Walker||Winston-Salem State University|
- An essay (500 words max) describing your career, community and educational goals. How will participation in this course or training program contribute to your achievement of these goals? How do you contribute to your community and demonstrate positive citizenship?
- One letter of recommendation
- Information about the professional development opportunity (website, flyer, course description, etc.)
JBR Memorial Staff Scholarship Application 2023 opens August 15, 2023.
Any questions or concerns regarding the JBR Memorial Staff Scholarship application process please contact the JBR Memorial Staff Scholarship Committee Chair, Jordan Perry, via email at email@example.com. For technical issues please contact UNC Staff Assembly Technology Officer, Matt Horvat, via email firstname.lastname@example.org.