Janet B. Royster Memorial Scholarship
The Janet B. Royster (JBR) Memorial Staff Scholarship Fund was created in August of 2011 by the UNC System Staff Assembly in memory of UNC-TV employee Janet B. Royster. Janet represented UNC-TV on the General Administration Staff Forum and was subsequently elected to the UNC System Staff Assembly. She served as its first Parliamentarian (2006) until her untimely death in June 2011. This scholarship promotes staff development for permanent, full-time, non-faculty employees, as well as recognizes and honors Janet’s leadership and dedication to all UNC employees.
The JBR Memorial Staff Scholarship Fund provides one or more annual awards, based on the availability of funds. Scholarships provide assistance towards earning a degree or other professional certification. Applicants are encouraged to describe how the educational program relates to the applicant’s career goals. Recipients are selected by a Selection Committee.
Award payments will be made directly to the school, provider, or vendor indicated in the applicants application. The scholarship can be applied to the cost of tuition, fees, books, or registration fees. The maximum award amount for the 2021-2022 academic year is $500. Awards are not automatically renewable from year to year. Interested parties must apply each year.
Some of the following factors will be considered by the committee in making selections:
- The educational goals of the applicant
- The financial needs of the applicant
- The commitment of the applicant to his or her UNC employer institution
- The relationship of the educational program to the applicant’s job
- Applicant must be a permanent full-time non-faculty employee of the UNC system.
- Applicant must submit a complete application.
The JRBR Memorial Staff Scholarship Fund is designed to help a UNC employee become a more effective, in either the applicant’s current position, or to prepare the applicant for promotion within the UNC system. The selection committee will consider a variety of factors including, but not limited to:
- The length of time the applicant worked for the UNC system.
- How the educational opportunity will help the applicant perform their job or enhance the applicant’s career opportunities.
- What skill sets the applicant will gain.
- The applicant’s long-term educational goals?
- The long-term career goals of the applicant?
Janet B. Royster Memorial Staff Scholarship 2021 Awardees
|Lauren Daniels||East Carolina University|
|Ryan Donaldson||NC School of Science and Mathematics|
|Michelle Harris||North Carolina Central University|
|Bradley Davis||North Carolina State University|
|Paulette Russell||UNC Charlotte|
|Feletia Lee||UNC Wilmington|
|Jennifer Pruitt||UNC-Chapel Hill|
|Aquila Barrett||Winston-Salem State University|
- An educational, career and community goals essay – describe your career and educational goals. How will participation in this course or training program contribute to your achievement of these goals? How do you contribute to your community and demonstrate positive citizenship.
- Letter(s) of recommendation
- Information about the professional development opportunity
J.B. Royster Memorial Staff Scholarship Application 2022 opens August 15, 2022.
Any questions or concerns regarding the JBR Memorial Staff Scholarship application process please contact the JBR Memorial Staff Scholarship Committee Chair, Helen DiPietro, via email at email@example.com. For technical issues please contact UNC Staff Assembly Technology Officer via email firstname.lastname@example.org.