Leading on Literacy
Research Symposium for Teacher Educators
Resources and Further Reading
- Bryan, B.A., Hougen, M. & Nelson, K. (2018). Leading on Literacy: Challenges and Opportunities in Teacher Preparation Across the University of North Carolina System. Chapel Hill, NC: The University of North Carolina System.
- Foorman, B., Beyler, N., Borradaile, K., Coyne, M., Denton, C. A., Dimino, J., Furgeson, J., Hayes, L., Henke, J., Justice, L., Keating, B., Lewis, W., Sattar, S., Streke, A., Wagner, R., & Wissel, S. (2016). Foundational skills to support reading for understanding in kindergarten through 3rd grade (NCEE 2016-4008). Washington, DC: National Center for Education Evaluation and Regional Assistance (NCEE), Institute of Education Sciences, U.S. Department of Education.
- Kilpatrick, D.A. (2015). Essentials of Assessing, Preventing, and Overcoming Reading Difficulties. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Gersten, R., Compton, D., Connor, C.M., Dimino, J., Santoro, L., Linan-Thompson, S., and Tilly, W.D. (2008). Assisting students struggling with reading: Response to Intervention and multi-tier intervention for reading in the primary grades. A practice guide. (NCEE 2009-4045). Washington, DC: National Center for Education Evaluation and Regional Assistance, Institute of Education Sciences, U.S. Department of Education.
- Anne Castles, Kathleen Rastle, Kate Nation (June 2018). “Ending the Reading Wars: Reading Acquisition From Novice to Expert.”
Psychological Science in the Public Interest Vol 19, Issue 1, pp. 5-51.
- Hanford, E. (September 10, 2018). Hard Words: Why aren’t kids being taught to read? American Public Media Reports.
Dr. Barbara Foorman, PhD
Frances Eppes Professor of Education
Florida Center for Reading Research Florida State University
Dr. David A. Kilpatrick, PhD
State University of New York
College at Cortland
Dr. Kelly Butler, PhD
Managing Director for Policy & Partnerships
The Barksdale Reading Institute