Leading on Literacy
Research Symposium for Teacher Educators
Resources and Further Reading
- Bryan, B.A., Hougen, M. & Nelson, K. (2018). Leading on Literacy: Challenges and Opportunities in Teacher Preparation Across the University of North Carolina System. Chapel Hill, NC: The University of North Carolina System.
- Foorman, B., Beyler, N., Borradaile, K., Coyne, M., Denton, C. A., Dimino, J., Furgeson, J., Hayes, L., Henke, J., Justice, L., Keating, B., Lewis, W., Sattar, S., Streke, A., Wagner, R., & Wissel, S. (2016). Foundational skills to support reading for understanding in kindergarten through 3rd grade (NCEE 2016-4008). Washington, DC: National Center for Education Evaluation and Regional Assistance (NCEE), Institute of Education Sciences, U.S. Department of Education.
- Kilpatrick, D.A. (2015). Essentials of Assessing, Preventing, and Overcoming Reading Difficulties. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Gersten, R., Compton, D., Connor, C.M., Dimino, J., Santoro, L., Linan-Thompson, S., and Tilly, W.D. (2008). Assisting students struggling with reading: Response to Intervention and multi-tier intervention for reading in the primary grades. A practice guide. (NCEE 2009-4045). Washington, DC: National Center for Education Evaluation and Regional Assistance, Institute of Education Sciences, U.S. Department of Education.
- Anne Castles, Kathleen Rastle, Kate Nation (June 2018). “Ending the Reading Wars: Reading Acquisition From Novice to Expert.”
Psychological Science in the Public Interest Vol 19, Issue 1, pp. 5-51.
- Hanford, E. (September 10, 2018). Hard Words: Why aren’t kids being taught to read? American Public Media Reports.