UNC System Employee Engagement Survey
The UNC System Employee Engagement Survey is a five-year project developed to achieve the goals of the UNC Strategic Plan.
- The data collected will establish a baseline metric for engagement to track over the next five years in concert with other human capital metrics.
- This will allow UNC System leadership to address those areas in which employee engagement challenges may exist and to recognize those areas that are successfully fostering employee engagement.
- The survey results may also assist the UNC System in advocating for improvements to human resources policies at the statewide level that are generally beyond the University’s institutional control.
System-wide Engagement Survey Results (January 2018)
- The overall participation rate for the 2018 engagement survey across the UNC System was 50%.
- The overall positive response (strongly agree or agree) across the UNC System was 63%.
- The 60 survey belief statements were rated on a 5-point scale from strongly agree to strongly disagree.
What is this?
The survey is being administered through an outside vendor (ModernThink).
Why are we doing this?
When is this happening?
Faculty and staff will receive an email invitation directly from ModernThink. The survey takes on average about 20-30 minutes to complete. Faculty and staff can take the survey either on work time or off work time using a laptop or mobile device. (Note: If you decide to complete the survey outside your regular work schedule, then you will not be paid for that time.)
Reporting of survey results began during the fall semester 2018.
Who is participating in this?
Participation is voluntary. Although no one should feel pressured to participate, this survey is a great chance for faculty and staff to be heard, so participation is strongly encouraged. It is important that the University hears from as many faculty and staff as we can in order to get the most complete feedback.
How does this relate to other surveys?
Some UNC institutions have done similar surveys in the past, but this is the first survey to be issued system-wide. It will provide a common dataset for the entire UNC System.
What’s on the survey?
Benefits Questions: These relate to satisfaction with a variety of benefits programs provided by the State/University.
Open-Ended Questions: There are two open-ended questions for write-in responses.
Demographics Questions: These are for reporting purposes, such as race, gender, years of service, salary range, organizational unit, etc.
What about confidentiality?
Reporting will be available only if there are at least five responses in a defined demographic group. For example, for a report specifically on African-American female faculty, we would receive the report only if at least five respondents completed the survey that fit that full demographic profile (i.e., African-American, female, and faculty).
Note: The narrative comments submitted for the two open-ended questions will be shared with institutional leadership. Faculty and staff may wish to consider how they phrase their responses so that their remarks are not too identifiable.
ModernThink provides a helpline (888.684.4658) for participants to call if they have questions about confidentiality, and faculty and staff can review a confidentiality statement.
What changes will come from this?
Some faculty and staff concerns (e.g., better salaries/raises, better benefits, etc.) may be outside the control of your direct supervisor or the University.
Some suggestions from faculty and staff for certain changes may be cost prohibitive or may require legislative action by the NC General Assembly.
However, having data that identify these concerns and suggestions puts the University in a better position to prioritize ways to address them and to bring these issues to those who have the authority to make any necessary changes.
2018 Reporting Information
Below are the “topline” summary reports for each UNC System institution. These reports show the overall positive response by employee type for each of the 15 survey dimensions.
- Appalachian State University
- East Carolina University
- Elizabeth City State University
- Fayetteville State University
- NC A&T State University
- NC Central University
- NC School of Science and Mathematics
- NC State University
- UNC Asheville
- UNC Chapel Hill
- UNC Charlotte
- UNC Greensboro
- UNC Pembroke
- UNC School of the Arts
- UNC System Office
- UNC Wilmington
- Western Carolina University
- Winston-Salem State University